Cucumber and radish salad is a perfect addition to any main course. The thinly sliced vegetables require nothing more than a simple dressing made of rich extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, resulting in a light and satisfying side dish.
Cucumber and radish salad recipe
During spring or summer months, I always serve a simple vegetable salad with my dinner.
It makes every meal more bright, fun and flavorful.
This simple salad features English cucumbers and bright red radishes.
You can use olive oil dressing or sour cream dressing if you are looking for a richer and tangier salad.
I like both dressings and often alternate them to make this cucumber and radish salad.
As for herbs, you can add fresh parsley, cilantro, or dill.
This salad taste even better after chilling in the fridge for at least one hour.
Cucumbers: I used English cucumbers. Persian cucumbers work great too as they barely have any noticeable seeds. Chose firm to touch cucumbers.
Radishes: I used red small radishes as they tend to be less spicy and have a sweeter taste.
Green onions: I like how green onions have a milder taste and are not as spicy. But you can use red or sweet onions as well.
Dill: fresh dill will add a lot of flavor to the salad. I also like to add fresh parsley or cilantro.
Olive oil: choose a high-quality extra virgin olive oil. I always have one just for salads, and it lasts quite a long time.
Lemon juice: a little bit of lemon juice for a citrus taste.
Salt and pepper: I usually add salt and pepper at the end to my taste.
Below are the simple directions with images to follow.
Step 1. Rinse all the vegetables and herbs. Peel the cumber using a veggie peeler or a knife. Most store-bought cucumbers are covered in wax to preserve freshness.
Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then cut each half into thin slices as shown below.
Step 2. Cut off the stem ends of each radish. Cut the radish in half. Place it on a cutting board with a cut side down and slice each half into thin slices just like you sliced the cucumbers.
Step 3. Gather a small bunch of dill and dice in finely. Chop the green onions.
Step 4. In a medium bowl, add sliced cucumbers, radishes, dill, and green onions. Drizzle the salad with some olive oil and squeeze a little bit of lemon juice. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
How to store
Keep the salad leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also store sliced vegetables separately and add the dressing before serving.
Sour cream dressing
You can also make this salad more rich and tangy by using a simple sour cream dressing:
- ½ cup of Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pick firm cucumbers, the soft ones might be overripe or not very fresh.
- Peel store-bought cucumbers as they are more likely waxed.
- Let the salad marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge for the flavors to blend together.
- Use simple dressing such olive oil and lemon, vinaigrette or sour cream dressing.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can make this salad ahead of time by slicing the vegetables and storing them separately in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Before serving, simply add the dressing, salt, and pepper.
Yes, you can add other vegetables and herbs to the salad. Some great options are tomatoes, bell peppers, grated carrots, microgreens, fresh parsley, and cilantro.
You can always add some protein to the salad ( baked chicken, grilled shrimp, hard-boiled eggs) and fats such as seeds, nuts, or avocado. You can also add a little bit of goat cheese, or feta cheese.
More salads with cucumbers
Cucumber And Radish Salad
- 1 medium bowl
- measuring spoons
- 1 ea large cucumber
- 6 ea red small radishes
- 2 ea green onions
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the vegetables and herbs. Peel the cucumber. Cut off the stem ends of the radishes.
- Slice the cucumber and radishes in to full or half circles. Dice the dill and green onions finely.
- In a medium bowl, add sliced vegetables and herbs. Add 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill the salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- You can add other vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, micro greens.
- Try it with our simple sour cream dressing.
- Add some protein to make it a light meal.
- All nutrition information is only estimate and calculated using the calorie application.