Buffalo tuna salad is just as good as it sounds – canned tuna, and diced vegetables in a creamy and tangy buffalo dressing. Enjoy it on its own, as a dip, wrap, or as a sandwich.
Buffalo tuna salad
I absolutely love chicken wings in a traditional buffalo sauce, with a side of celery, carrots, and chunky blue cheese for dipping.
But would you believe, that canned tuna, some veggies, and blue cheese buffalo sauce can become the most satisfying salad sandwich or wrap?
Me too, until I tried it. I usually wrap it in a wheat tortilla and serve it with some extra celery on a side.
Fresh celery and carrots add a crunchy and fresh texture, and the blue cheese dressing has a tangy and little spicy taste from the buffalo sauce.
Canned tuna in water has a mild flavor and a perfectly flaky texture.
This buffalo tuna salad recipe is a simple way to turn a boring can of tuna into a tasty and flavorful meal.
Tuna Caesar salad is another recipe you can use canned tuna.
Below you can find the ingredients overview; for the quantifies, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
Tuna – I used canned tuna in water. Avoid using tuna in oil for salads, as it has a stronger flavor and firmer texture. Tuna in water is lighter and great for making salads.
Celery – fresh celery adds crunch and texture to the salad.
Carrot – fresh cubed carrot adds a touch of sweetness and some crunch.
Green onions – add milder onion flavor, which matches better the bold buffalo sauce. If you use red onion,
Parsley – it is optional, but fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or dill are perfect to add to any salad to make it look and taste fresh.
Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings sauce, it has the best flavor and is not too spicy. You can any other brand you have at home.
Blue cheese dressing – I used store-bought classic blue cheese dressing, Litehouse brand.
Black pepper – add for serving to taste.
You can find the recipe ingredients quantities in the recipe card below.
- Tuna – instead of tuna, you can easily use canned chicken or cooked shredded chicken. Canned salmon will also work for this recipe.
- Celery – some of us do not like raw celery, so you can simply skip the ingredient or use some fresh cucumber, green apple, or even bell peppers instead like I did to make this chicken salad without celery.
- Blue cheese – if you prefer your wings with ranch dressing, you probably will love this salad made with ranch. If you do not have either ranch or blue cheese, use some mayonnaise instead.
How to make the salad
Step 1. In a small bowl, add blue cheese dressing (or ranch) and buffalo sauce. Mix to combine.
Step 2. Drain all the liquid from the tuna. Add the tuna to a shallow dish or a medium bowl. Use a fork to break it into smaller flakes.
Step 3. Wash all the vegetables and herbs well. Dice the carrot and celery into small cubes. Chop scallions and parsley finely. Add chopped veggies and herbs to the bowl with tuna.
Step 5. Pour the buffalo dressing over the salad and mix it well. Enjoy it as it is or as a sandwich.
- Make sure to drain canned tuna well.
- Avoid tuna in oil, as it has a stronger flavor.
- Chop the carrots and celery into small, uniform pieces for a balanced mix of textures.
- For the best result, chill the salad for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.
Ways to serve
You can serve this salad in a variety of ways. Below are a few ideas to try:
Sandwich or wrap: use whole grain bread or a tortilla to make it a meal.
Lettuce wraps: if you are looking for a low-carb meal, wrap the tuna salad in fresh lettuce leaves.
Dip: serve it as a dip with some crackers or pita chips.
Salad: serve it over the bed of lettuce or any other fresh veggies and greens.
Topping: add some of this salad on top of your baked potato or even French fries to make it a comforting meal.
How to store
Transfer the tuna salad leftovers to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
If you are making the salad ahead of time, consider adding the dressing one hour prior before serving.
Other delicious salad sandwiches to try
Buffalo Tuna Salad
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 2 cans tuna in water, liquid drained
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 green onions, washed
- 2 sprigs parsley, washed
- 5 Tablespoons blue cheese dressing or ranch
- 1 Tablespoon Buffalo wings sauce I used RedHot brand
- In a small bowl, whisk 5 Tablespoons blue cheese dressing and 1 Tablespoon Buffalo wings sauce.
- In a medium bowl, add drained tuna. Use a fork to break it in to small pieces.
- Dice carrot and celery into small even pieces. Chop green onions and parsley finely. Add veggies to the bowl with tuna.
- Drizzle the salad with the buffalo dressing and mix until all ingredients are evenly coasted.
- you can use canned chicken as well to make this salad.
- add more blue cheese dressing if you like extra creamy salads.
- you can use ranch dressing instead of blue cheese.
- serve it as a dip, sandwich or a wrap.
- all nutrition information is only estimate and calculated using the calorie application.