Cabbage and apple salad is a simple side dish made with crunchy cabbage, fresh apples, and a simple honey Dijon dressing. This simple salad is a healthy and refreshing addition to any meal.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use regular green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, or even thinly shredded Brussels sprouts.
Sure, I like to add shredded carrots, thinly sliced onions, walnuts, and sometimes feta cheese.
If you need to make this salad ahead of time, it is better to keep the dressing separately and add it right before serving.
About the cabbage and apple salad
Apple cabbage salad is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a perfect side dish for any meal. Cabbage is a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and folate, while apples are rich in fiber, Vitamin C, and antioxidants.
You can dress it with only olive oil and lemon juice or homemade honey-Dijon tangy dressing (included in this recipe)
Texture: crunchy and crisp.
Taste: fresh, tangy, sweet.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes.
Other low-calorie side salads
- Salad with tomatoes and cucumbers
- Refreshing cucumber radish salad
- Copycat chick-fil-a kale crunch salad
Choosing the ingredients
Below is the list of ingredients with important information and the best substitutions for this recipe. You can find the quantities for the 6 servings in the recipe card at the end of this post.
For the salad
Cabbage: I used half green cabbage and half red cabbage. Besides the color, red cabbage has a more bitter, spicier taste. You can use only one cabbage type or both.
Apple: I like to use granny smith apples because it’s crispy and tangy. You can also use sweet apples if you prefer the salad to have a sweeter taste.
Parsley: I used chopped fresh Italian parsley for earthy tones. You can skip parsley or use dill instead.
For the dressing
Olive oil: use extra virgin olive oil. You can also use other aromatic oils such as pistachio, walnut, or sunflower seed oil.
Dijon mustard: adds a slightly spicy taste and helps to emulsify other dressing ingredients. Whole-grain mustard can be also used.
Apple cider vinegar: for sour and tangy taste. You can also use lemon juice instead.
Honey: Honey adds a sweet taste to the dressing.
Celery seed: I like to add a pinch of celery seed to this salad dressing. It can have a strong flavor, so make sure to add just a little bit.
Salt and black pepper: add salt and pepper to taste.
How to make this salad
Step 1. Rinse the cabbage and remove the outer leaves (or any wilted ones) of the cabbage and shred it using a food processor or with a knife. Cut the cabbage in half and cut out the core from each half. Place the half on the cutting board with a flat side down. Use a sharp knife to slice the cabbage into thin shreds.
Step 2. Add shredded cabbage to the salad spinner bowl and fill it with cold water. Swirl it to remove any dirt. Drain and spin to remove access water. You can also do in a in large bow and use a colander to drain it.
Step 3. Rinse and core the apple. Cut each half into thin slices and then into matchsticks. Rinse and chop fresh parsley.
Step 4. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, and some salt and pepper. Give it a taste and add more salt if needed.
Step 5. In a large mixing bowl, add drained cabbage, apple, parsley, and the dressing. Toss the salad until evenly coated with the dressing and enjoy!
- You can make it with only green cabbage, only red cabbage, or a mix of both.
- Rinse shredded cabbage, as there might be insects and dirt inside.
- If you like onions, add thinly sliced red onion to the salad.
- While homemade dressing is better, you can use any store-bought one.
- Make the dressing ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until ready to use.
How to store
Cabbage apple salad tastes the best when served right away, as the shredded cabbage may get wilted if stored too long in the fridge. It is safe to keep the salad in the fridge for 2-3 days. Make sure to transfer any leftovers into the airtight container.
If you need to prepare it ahead of time, keep the dressing separately and add it before serving.
The salad without dressing can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Simple Cabbage and Apple Salad
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- measuring spoons
- ½ ea green cabbage
- ½ ea red cabbage
- 1 ea green apple
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch celery seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- Slice cabbage thinly in to shreds. Rinse in under cold water and drain. Slice the apple into thin matchsticks. Rinse and chop parsley finely. Add all to the large mixing bowl.
- In small bowl, whisk⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar , 1 Tablespoon honey, 1 pinch celery seeds, ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste.
- Add the homemade dressing to the salad and toss it to combine. Enjoy.
- You can use any type of cabbage or a combination of few different types.
- If you plan to serve it later, keep the dressing and the salad separately.
- Granny smith apple is the best one to use, but you can also use any other kind.
- All nutrition information is only estimate and calculated using the calorie application.