Céleri Rémoulade is a simple French salad made with celeriac, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and seasonings. This crisp and tangy salad is a perfect side dish for seafood, grilled meats, or as a light meal served with a fresh baguette.
Although I knew that celery root is very nutritious, I used to avoid buying it because I was not sure how to cook it.
One day, a friend of mine made this fresh salad that reminded me of coleslaw. First, I could not even tell what it was made of.
Very quickly, Céleri Rémoulade became a popular dish at my home. It is a great way to introduce a new vegetable to your diet.
German celery salad is another delicious salad recipe that uses this root vegetable as a main ingredient. It is made with cooked celeriac and has softer texture.
This salad takes about 15 minutes to prepare and features crisp chopped celery root in a tangy creamy dressing.
You can shred, slice or cube the root, but the traditional recipe requires thin julienne cut.
This salad is refreshing, crunchy and so easy to make.
About rémoulade dressing
Rémoulade is a traditional French sauce made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, herbs, and spices.
This condiment is often served as a sauce for seafood, meats, and vegetable. It can also be used as a dressing for salads like Celeri remoulade and coleslaws.
The sauce originated in France, but later it has been adapted in different countries.
For example, in Louisiana, the version has added Ketchup, horseradish, and cayenne pepper.
The sauce has a creamy texture and tangy flavor. French Dijon mustard adds sharpness and helps to balance the taste.
Recipe ingredients and substitutions
Please, see the ingredients quantities in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Celeriac (known as celery root): you can find it in the produce aisle of your local grocery store. Instead of celery root, make the salad with carrots, rutabaga, turnips, or daikon radishes. They all have similar crispy textures and flavors and can be enjoyed raw.
- Mayonaise: use a high-quality traditional mayonnaise made with eggs and olive oil. Low-fat mayo can be used, but it is not as creamy and rich.
- Dijon mustard: it gives a sharpness to the dressing. You can use stone ground mustard instead. It has a similar flavor, only milder.
- Lemon juice: use freshly squeezed lemon juice. You can also make it with apple cider vinegar instead.
- Salt and pepper: I usually season sliced celery root with a little bit of salt and pepper. You can also add extra salt to the dressing. Always taste it before adding more. Add extra freshly ground black pepper after you mix the salad with the dressing.
Step 1. Wash and peel the celery root. The celery root skin is very tough and it needs to be peeled. Cut off the ends of the celery root and stabilize it on a cutting board as pictured below. Use your knife to remove the outer skin around the root.
Step 2. Slice the celery root into thin pieces. Stack them up and cut them into thin match sticks. Of course, It is easier to use a grater but the salad will not be as crisp. The vegetable needs to be julienned for the best results. You can also use the Julienne peeler. Place the sliced celery root into a medium bowl and season it with some salt and pepper.
Step 3. In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. You can add some extra salt to the dressing. But in my opinion, there is no need to.
Step 4. Add the dressing to the celery root sticks and mix it. For the best results refrigerate the salad before serving for at least 30 minutes.
- Add other vegetables: you can also add some julienned carrots and radishes.
- Dressing: add a few tablespoons of creme fraiche to the Rémoulade dressing for an extra creamy and rich taste.
- Herbs: add some chopped fresh parsley, dill, or chives.
- Avoid shredding the celery root. I recommend a thin julienne cut.
- Adjust salt and pepper by taste.
- Use a full-fat mayo made with olive oil.
- If the dressing is too thick, add a Tablespoon of heavy cream or milk.
- Chill the salad before serving.
You can this salad 1-2 days in advance. Great idea to bring to a potluck or a BBQ party.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container (preferably glass) for no longer than 3 days.
Other salads you may like
- Caesar salad with blackened chicken
- Tuna Caesar salad
- Lettuce cucumber tomato salad
- Kale crunch salad
- 1 Julienne slicer or a sharp knife
- 1 measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- 1 small bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 celery root
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Wash and peel the celery root. Cut into thin sliced and chop each slice into matchsticks. You can also use Julienne slicer.
- Place chopped celery root in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, add ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dressing to the salad and gently toss the celery with the dressing, making sure all the salad is coated evenly. Chill before serving.
- Céleri Rémoulade pairs well with fish, meats and grilles vegetables.
- Make it ahead of time and refrigerate for no longer than 2 days.
- You can add fresh herbs, carrots, and apple to the salad.
- The nutritional facts is for informational purpose only.